- Currency The Swiss franc is the monetary unit, usually indicated as CHF. Often is possible to pay in Euro, but normally the change will be returned in Swiss franc.
- Exchange You can change money at any Swiss bank, airports, main hotels and train stations (Western Union) and at the Swiss Post. The current exchange rates can be found on: www.ubs.com
- Language Switzerland has four official languages: German, French, Italian and Rhaeto-Rumantsch. In Ticino the official language is Italian but it’s easy to find assistance in other foreign languages.
- VAT In Switzerland the VAT applied on the purchase of goods and services is of 8%. You may ask at the shops for your Global Refund Cheque and reclaim the VAT. For more information regarding terms and conditions refer to Swiss Federal Tax Administration.
- Phone area code The international area code for Switzerland is +41.
- Opening times Shops are usually open Mondays to Fridays from 8/8.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.. Some shops extend their opening hours on Thursdays to 9 p.m. On Saturdays shops open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. They are closed Sundays and on public holidays.
- Emergency Numbers 117 Police 118 Fire service 144 Ambulance 1414 Swiss Air-Rescue Rega 140 Breakdown Assistance
- Voltage The Swiss voltage is 230 Volt and the frequency 50 Hertz (for the domestic electrical appliance up to 2200 Watt). Kitchens, washing machines and etc use 400 or 3x400 Volt. The wall socket is of J type.